Pages

Tuesday 24 December 2019

Week 2- Day 1- Activity 2- Dr Jessa Rodgers.

Activity 2-
For this activity, we would like you to calculate Jessa’s age when she won the NAIDOC Youth of the Year award. She was born on 7 April 1985 and she received the award on 9 July 2010. Please provide the answer to this question in years, months and days (eg. 20 years, 6 months and 2 days).


On your blog, please post both your final answer and an explanation of how you solved this math problem. You could write your explanation, or use screen-castify to record yourself explaining how you solved it.

Info-

Jessa was born on the 7th of April 1985
Received award on 9th July 2010
7th of April 1985 to the 7th of April 2000 makes her 15
7th of April 2000 to 7th of April 2010 makes her 25
The difference between 7th of April 2010 and 9th of July 2010 is 93 days
which means she was...

25 years 4 months and 2 days old!

( I tried to figure it out so please comment if I got it wrong it would help )

Thanks for reading my blog!

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Megan, this is Kieryn from the Summer Learning Journey.
    Ka pai in attempting to work out the age of Dr Jessa Rogers when she won the NAIDOC Youth of the year award!
    I really like the way you have worked out this equation!
    Finding the difference between 1985 and 2000 was a great place to start as it was then easier to add the additional 10 years on top.
    The difference between the 7th of April 2010 and the 9th of July 2010 is where this question becomes a bit trickier to figure out!
    You are correct when you state that there are 93 days between these dates, however if you work it out in months rather than days it would be 3 months between the 7th of April 2010, and the 7th of July 2010. You can then just add on the extra 2 days to bring the date upto the 9th of July 2010. That brings the grand total up to 25 years, 3 months and 2 days!
    Your answer was exceedingly close, and you should be extremely proud of yourself for coming up with your answer.
    Did you enjoy this activity?
    Is maths a subject you like at school?
    Maths was my favourite subject throughout school, and I always thoroughly enjoyed problems like these!
    Keep up the excellent work!
    Nga mihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for for the feedback Math is my favorite subject at school il be sure to get it right next time
      -Megan

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post